Tascam DR-44WL Portable Handheld Recorder with Wi-Fi
Groundbreaking Four-Track Recorder with Stereo Mics, XLR Mic Inputs and Wi-Fi
TASCAM's DR-44WL is the latest recording innovation from TASCAM. It starts with high-quality stereo condenser microphones, updated with a new XY pattern and high-performance mic components. Two locking XLR inputs feed TASCAM's latest microphone preamp design, with the lowest noise level and richest sound available in a portable recorder.
Features at a glance
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF format
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kHz, 32k to 320kbps MP3
- Recording media: SD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
- High sound pressure design captures levels up to 132dB SPL
- Innovative shock mount structure reduces physical noise
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with mic or line level (-10 or +4dBu)
- +48V phantom power supply for condenser microphones
- PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
- MTR mode enables multitrack music production
- Four-track mode supports advanced recording
- Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
- Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
- Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app
- Dual level recording function allows simultaneous recording of a second file at a lower level
- Dual-format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
- Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
- Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
- Auto recording function that can detect the signal input signal level and automatically start recording
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to preset conditions (peak detection or manual)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- A-B Loop playback function that is convention for music rehearsal
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
- M-S decoding function for utilizing M-S microphones
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Automatic power-saving function that prevents unnecessary use of battery power
- Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
- Chromatic tuner and a metronome are available in 4-track mode (V1.10)
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Audio files created on computers can be played (only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with 0.3W output
- 128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 high-speed file transfer to a computer
- Stereo mini headphone line output / headphone output connector
- Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
- Long-time operation of over 16 hours using the internal batteries (Alkaline battery, 16/44.1, 2ch, Wi-Fi OFF)
- Quality construction with aluminum side panels and genuine brass mic guards for durability
- Carrying strap connection
- Tripod attachment screw-hole
- 4GB microSD card and SD card adapter are included
- Standard accessories: AC adapter, windscreen, grip that is compatible with mic stands, shoe mount adapter, case
- RoHS certified
High-Quality Condenser Microphones
In addition to the great-sounding new capsules, a new shockmounting system has been developed for lower handling noise and rumble. The capsules are suspended in a rubber mount that avoids low frequency noises when handheld, mounted on a camera, or used on a tripod.
Cardioid Condenser Mics in an X-Y Pattern
Designed To Handle High Sound Pressure Levels – Up to 132dB SPL
Shockmount Design Reduces Handling Noise
Dual-Level Recording Feature Helps Prevent Overload
* When the Dual-level recording function is enabled, a maximum of two stereo tracks can be recorded simultaneously.
XLR Combo Jacks For Use With Professional Gear
The XLR/TRS external input jacks accept either microphone or line level sources. Balanced or unbalanced signals can be plugged in, at either +4 or -10 levels, using the locking XLR connector or the 1/4" jack. The DR-44WL supplies 48V Phantom Power for condenser or ribbon microphones that require it. Both the internal mics and external inputs are used during 4-channel recording, perfect for live recording.
XLR/TRS Inputs Support Balanced Line or Mic-Level Sources
Superior Microphone Preamp and A/D Converter for Quiet Operation
A programmable gain amplifier (PGA) is used to adjust the level of the audio inputs. In many devices, the audio codec level is adjusted to control levels. In the DR-44WL, the mic gain circuit is independent from the A/D converter for low noise performance as well as programmable gain (manual, automatic, or controlled over Wi-Fi.)
The CIRRUS LOGIC CS42L52 is used in the DR-44WL, a premium-quality audio codec. The A/D - D/A chip features both great audio performance and low power use for longer battery life. The built-in mics and the external inputs both pass through this low-noise audio input circuit.
Four-track Recording Mode
The DR-44WL can record both the internal microphones and the external inputs simultaneously for a four-track recording. This makes it the ideal live recording rig: use the microphones to capture the sound in the room while recording a board mix from the PA mixer. Other 4-channel applications include drum set recording, surround recording, and film production.
Remote Wi-Fi Control
Simple Wi-Fi Connections Without a Router
Remote Control Using the Free DR Control App (iOS/Android)
* Functions that can hinder operation have been excluded from wireless control
Wireless Streaming to Monitor the Recorder
With DR Control, audio from the DR-44WL can be broadcast via Wi-Fi to your smartphone for streaming playback. Even when the DR-44WL is in a place that is out of reach, this capability allows you to check audio from the headphone jack. Ensure that you're getting the sound you want without leaving your seat.
* The string playback function is intended for checking audio that has already been recorded.
Instantly Transfer Recordings to Your Smartphone or PC to Share Online
In addition to remote control, the DR-44WL allows you to wirelessly transfer recordings to your smartphone or laptop. Upload recordings to SoundCloud through the app, then publish that link to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Or simply email the file to friends.
* An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
Dual-Format Recording Function Records both WAV and MP3 Files
Dual Format Recording simultaneously records WAV and MP3 files to the card. This allows you to have instant access to the MP3 file for online sharing, while retaining the uncompressed WAV file master recording for later use.
* Due to MP3 file specifications, this function can only be used with 16-bit 44.1/48kHz WAV formats. This function cannot be used with 24-bit or 96kHz WAV/BWF file formats.
Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
After recording, transfer your files from the recorder to your smartphone using the TASCAM DR Control app. Files can be uploaded directly to SoundCloud, then you can share that link to Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ timelines with a single button. A free SoundCloud account can be created, giving you up to three hours of uploaded recordings.
* Your smartphone must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
* After files are transferred, the smartphone must be connected to the internet in order to upload to SoundCloud.
Wirelessly Transfer Files to Your Computer
A free app for Mac and Windows called File Transfer allows you to move selected recordings from the DR-44WL to your computer over Wi-Fi.
* The computer must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup
Even as a professional recording device, the DR-44WL has numerous automatic functions that can make recording easier for anyone. Numerous automatic recording functions combine with functions that simplify file management.
Peak Reduction and Limiter
These functions automatically adjust the recording level in response to the input level. The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level if an input overload is detected, optimizing the recorded sound. The limiter reduces excessive input levels without changing the input level setting.
Automatic Track Creation by Time
The DR-44WL can automatically create a new file and continue recording without interruption when a set amount of time has elapsed. This function is convenient when recording for long periods of time. For example, when set to 5 minutes, a new file will be created automatically every 5 minutes when recording. These files can be combined later in your audio editing software for seamless playback. Manual file increment is also possible by pressing the Record button during recording.
Automatic Track Creation by Level
The DR-44WL can create a new track every time a level threshold is passed. This can split a concert recording into tracks, and can be useful when digitizing another recording like a cassette, DAT, or vinyl record.
Automatic Mark Function
Marks can be added to files when high levels or peaks are detected.
When set to a level, marks can be added automatically at the points when songs end. When set to peak detection and used together with the peak reduction function, these marks will identify the points where peaks were detected – making it easy when using audio editing software on a computer. You can also add markers manually while recording.
This function can divide files where marks are added. When used together with the automatic marking function, long recordings can automatically be divided into files with individual songs. Files can also be divided manually.
Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production
The DR-44WL is a powerful tool for songwriters. In Overdub mode (DUB), the DR-44WL is able to record one track at a time on top of the previous recording. You can produce studio-quality music files using just the portable DR-44WL. A reverb effect is also included to sweeten your mix.
Nondestructive Overdubbing function
Internal Reverb Effect
A stereo reverb effect can be added either during recording or playback. Presets for halls, rooms and other standard environments can be utilized to suit the user and type of music. This effect can be applied during recording and playback to give your recordings a sense of space.
Standard Accessories Include Everything You Need to Start Recording
A full selection of accessories are included with the DR-44WL:
- Mic Grip
- Shoe Mount adapter
- AC adapter
- USB cable
- microSD card adapter
- 4GB card
We Also Recommend